Goodwill Hunting

by - 8:05 AM


I have a little secret and surprise to share with you all! In a few short weeks, I will be opening my own online vintage store! For those of you who have been following me for awhile, you know that I am a huge supporter of second hand finds. Nothing makes me happier than 50% off day at Goodwill! And, I'm happy to finally share my thrifted finds with all of you! 



Today, I wanted to give my readers my top five thrift store tips! Trust me when I say thrifting isn't for everyone. It takes patience, time, and an open mind. With that being said, it is extremely rewarding to find those hidden treasures. So lets get started!

Tip One: Take your time. There is an endless amount of merchandise at thrift stores, and if you want to find that gem, you are going to have to look through every shirt, skirt, dress, etc. It sounds daunting, but there is a trick to help the search move faster. Scan every item with your eyes and look for colors, prints, embellishments, anything that tickles your fancy. It is a good way to weed out those ridiculous ensembles thrift stores are known for having!

Tip Two: Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Just because you pick something up doesn't mean you are going to buy it! I once found a yellow leather jumpsuit at Goodwill; something I generally wouldn't even consider wearing but I tried it on and to this day is one of my favorite pieces! Style is about having fun, so always try to grab at least one fun, "out-there" garment!

Tip Three: Try everything on. And I mean everything. If you have 30 items in your hand take the time to try every single one on. One of the best pieces of advice my mom every gave me was "you never know what it will look like until it is on." A simple statement, 100% true! 

Tip Four: Scissors and sewing machines are your best friend! It can be difficult to imagine a garment post altering, but simple fixes can make the world of difference. Hemming a dress or skirt, cutting jeans into shorts, shirts into crops tops. You name it and it can probably be done! 

Tip Five: Have Fun! It shouldn't be a chore to buy new clothes! So bring a friend and make a day out of it. Try on some funny pants or shirts and see where the day takes you! 

If you guys have anymore questions feel free to contact me or leave a comment! I love your feedback as always! 

You May Also Like

0 comments